Build a Rainforest
- 2-liter bottles with bottle caps (one for each student)
- Potting soil
- Gravel/small rocks
- Houseplants (such as philodendron)
- Carpenter's knife
- Clear packaging tape
- Remove wrapping from bottle. Clean inside and outside of the bottle.
- Have an adult cut the bottle in half.
- In the bottom half of the bottle put 1.5- to 2.0-inch layer of gravel.
- Cover the gravel with 4 inches of potting soil.
- Carefully place the plants in the soil.
- Water plants.
- Place top half of bottle on top of bottom half and tape securely.
- Place terrarium in a sunny window.
Design an observation chart. Chart any changes in your plants. Give water in increments of a 1/2 cup. Keep track of the amount of water given.